One year ago today my Grandmother turned 80. To make it to her 80th birthday was one of her main goals when she was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis a couple years earlier. She made it and was surrounded by family who celebrated with her the entire day and evening.
She was able to feel the twins kick and "hold" them,
before (very much on her own terms) she passed away the next morning.
But this is not the photo I will show Suzette when she asks where her middle name came from. I want her to know what an amazing woman of strength, intellect, courage, compassion and humility she was named after. So these are the photos I will share with her first...
Once Suzette has an understanding of what an amazing privilege and honor it is to share her middle name with this amazing woman then I will show her the first photo. Because I believe once she knows the marvelous spirit of her Great Grandmother she will feel honored to have her name. I hope she will know, but by the first photo she will be able to see the love my grandma had for her even when she was still in my womb. For under that oxygen mask is one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen on her face. I have no doubt that over the years there will be moments to come where a bond is formed between Yvonne Rich Quayle and Suzette Yvonne Traxler that will exceed my comprehension. For I very much believe these two spirits will enlighten and enrich each other.
Thank you grandma for teaching me so many important lessons about life and people and enabling me to pass that along to my daughter. I am better for each moment I spent with you and now they will be too.

No comments:
Post a Comment