8.04.2012

Trauma

Not even in our new place one full week and we encountered some trauma.  It happened in the morning 7 o'clock hour while I was in the kitchen unpacking some dishes.  I heard Suzie scream a loud painful cry and bolted over to her where she was laying face down in between the chair and entertainment center.  I scooped her up and saw she was bleeding above her eye. A lot.  After getting some paper towels to dab on her cut I noticed it was pretty deep.  This wasn't going to be good.  I'm guessing she hit her head on the corner of the entertainment center, as that was the only sharp thing around, but since I didn't see it happen I cannot be sure.  And while you're wondering how that even happened with her wearing the helmet, she wasn't.  She gets three 30 minute breaks each day and I usually do one in the morning after she gets up.  She took her spill in the last 5 minutes of her break.  I took this photo with my phone and sent it to Dave who had just left for work not that long before...
 with the message saying, "I think this will require medical attention."  Of course he called right away and we decided with traffic there would be no point in having him come back home as I would need to take Suzie somewhere to get this taken care of ASAP.  Dave looked up Urgent Care locations for me and luckily there is one in the shopping center of our new neighborhood.  Not even having been to church yet to know anyone to call and help I felt really alone, but knew I needed to pull myself together and deal with this.  So I got myself, Suzie and Ian dressed, diaper bag stocked and loaded everyone up in the car.  Of course since Dave just started his new job we don't have the actual insurance cards yet which made checking in a pleasant process - NOT!  The receptionist was very unhelpful and seemed to lack compassion and understanding, which I really needed at that exact moment.  She kept insisting calling and verifying our coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield over the phone using Dave's member and group number (which he got in a jiffy from the HR guy at work) wasn't enough, we had to have the actual card.  Are you kidding me?!  I've worked in a medical office before and that is just bologna.  After insisting on speaking to her manager and going into a bit of a mommy meltdown explaining how my daughter needed treatment NOW and I knew for a fact it was possible to submit a claim having all the info that would be on an insurance card, but not the actual card I was told they'd see her shortly.  

And that was just the beginning of it.  Once we were taken back and the doctor finally came into the exam room she stated right away stitches would be needed.  The nurse was asked to come in and hold Suzie's head while she was laying down on the table and I was to hold her arms and legs.  All the while Ian is still sitting in the stroller just watching things unfold.  With the numbing shot Suzie's wails of pain began and I tried with all my might to hold it together.  I sang songs and tried stroking her tummy while looking over and Ian to reassure him it was okay.  By the time the 4th stitch was done, Suzie's face covered in tears, snot and a bit of blood was the point Ian lost it and started to hysterically cry and scream.  I could do nothing but turn my head and try to verbally comfort him, but I couldn't even do that.  The tears started to come and the overwhelming feeling of both my babies being scared and in pain and I couldn't do anything was awful.  I couldn't even sing anymore.  I just layed my head on Suzie's tummy and sobbed, praying that the last stitch would be completed soon and I could scoop Suzie up off that table and walk over next to Ian to stroke his face and say we're all done.  It seemed like forever, but finally that moment came.  

With tears still streaming down my face the doctor actually had the audacity to ask if there was another adult in the house, why did I come alone and I shouldn't leave my children unattended for reasons like this.  I wanted to shout - WE JUST MOVED HERE A FEW DAYS AGO!!!  My husband works and the place obviously isn't baby proofed 100% yet, sheesh really - your timing couldn't be worse.  There were also comments and rolled eyes about me being pregnant with another baby.  Obviously I couldn't wait to get out of there and upon walking out the door I got a call from my mom and just lost it.  Tender mercy indeed because I really needed some words of comfort right then.
Suzie actually handled it all pretty well.  She had some bruising from the shot and stitches the next day, but that didn't last too long and we were able to find another Urgent Care center just up the road in the other direction to go to for her suture removal.  That was a MUCH better experience.  It was such a new center that it didn't come up when Dave did his initial search, but it worked out well in the end.

So that is our bit of trauma upon moving in.  Let's hope things just keep getting better from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment