This past weekend Dave got to cash in his Father's day gift AND we got to have our first overnight get-a-way sans children in over a year, woo hoo for a win-win!!!
Unbeknownst to me Dave was in kahoots with my parents for a while about staying out our place to watch the kids for a few days to give us a much needed break. Originally he was planning on having it be for my birthday, but once he found out the first time my parents would be available would be a whole month after my 30th he decided to scrap that plan and watch the kids himself so I could enjoy a spa retreat on my actual birthday. When he opened his Father's day present and saw the planned weekend was just a week shy of when my parents could come he called up the company and was able to switch dates. I am super duper glad it all worked out because this past weekend was so fun!
We left Thursday afternoon and headed out to the temple. The last time we had been was 2 weeks before Adella was born (which was at the end of October 2012!) and it was so wonderful to be back. Dave and I kept commenting on how peaceful it was. It felt even more serene than usual. I firmly believe there is no better place to discuss worries, concerns, hopes and dreams for your children than with your spouse sitting in the celestial room of the temple. Everything is put into the proper perspective and I always leave feeling even more unified with Dave. I had just taught my Sunday School class of 16-18 year olds about the importance preparing now to receive their temple ordinances the week prior and though of many of them while I was there. When getting ready to leave we ran into two wonderful people while walking to our car - Kristin and Chelsea Geliske! The Geliske's are dear friends from our Gaithersburg 1st ward days and I like to call Kristin a selfless serving saint - she is amazing in every way and taught me so much about "loving on" people. Chelsea is her oldest daughter whom we had the pleasure of being "Ma & Pa" to while on the pioneer trek youth conference 4 years ago. She is a stellar young woman who was there to prepare for receiving her own endowments today in preparation for getting MARRIED on Friday!!! I am 100% thrilled for her and teared up more than once while standing there catching up with her. I told my class of Sunday School kids there is nothing in this world that can compare to the peace the temple brings you. I felt so overwhelmed thinking of the promises Chelsea is going to make with Heavenly Father and knowing the peace that it will bring her. Dave and I are both looking forward to celebrating with her Friday night :-)
Thursday evening we headed to our hotel, got checked in and settled then headed out for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. We decided to split everything so I picked appetizer and entree and Dave got to have his say on the dessert. I wanted something light, but tasty so I went with the fish tacos - total FAIL! I've never had anything at Cheesecake Factory as bad as those were. Dry, bland, dull, no flavor, blah, blah, blah. I was totally bummed. For dessert Dave was debating between the caramel turtle cheesecake and the snickers. At the very last minute he ended up ordering our tried and true favorite, Adams Peanut Butter Fudge - YUM-O! I'm sure the others would have been yummy too, but Dave wanted to make sure at least one part of our meal was a sure bet and I'm glad he did.
Friday morning we headed to Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, MD for Dave's big moment. Once we got there he had to decide between the red Ferrari or the yellow Lamborghini.
Of course he went with the yellow Lamborghini!
For some reason I can't upload the video from inside the car while he was driving, but I was able to get this one I took with my iPhone uploaded from my perspective on the sidelines.
By the looks of that huge smile on his face I'm pretty sure this Father's Day gift was a home run! Speaking of home runs, that's how we spent our Friday evening...
by enjoying watching the Orioles score FIVE of them during their game against the Red Sox! The weather was gorgeous and before the game we indulged in some food truck tastiness while watching other peoples children play at the splash park on the inner harbor. We reminisced of the night our romance began in 2005 just yard from that spot. I may live in West Virginia now, but one thing holds true - you can take the girl out of Maryland, but you can't take the Maryland out of the girl. I love the Inner Harbor and all the things that represent Maryland so well which surround it.
Saturday we headed to Cheesecake Factory for redeeming meal and not making the same mistake twice went with a known winner - the Santa Fe salad. Of course followed by our second piece of cheesecake (if you haven't tried their pineapple upsidedown cheesecake, you must!).
We were reminded of all the reasons why we fell in love with each other in the first place. Amazing what time away from daily responsibilities can do for a relationship. So thankful to have amazing family nearby that are willing and able to watch our children while enjoy a quick get-a-way. Not once did I worry about how they were doing and that truly is a priceless feeling. Thanks, Mom & Pop!
Hey awesome! And it looks like you guys had a blast! We just went to the DC temple this weekend and hadn't been since Honor was born in November. ...that was too long of a stretch (although I did go with the youth to Palmyra in Feb?...)
ReplyDelete