Dave and I have always thought of the roll our fathers have played in our lives on this day, but this year was the first time the word DAD applied to Dave. I wanted to make sure it was a special day so we decided to celebrate with only our little family soaking up just being together. We started off by going to church in the morning AND stayed for all 3 hours!
Yes folks, this has not happened up to this point. I was pretty hesitant since naps and feedings are always missed or delayed because of church (I had visions of us walking up and down the hallways with unconsolable crying babies by the last hour), but up for the challenge and it turned out not to be that bad at all. After sacrament meeting Dave and I feed and changed the twins in the kitchen, because guess what - that is one thing I cannot do on my own at church in the mother's lounge. In our building the mother's lounge is actually a room only accessible from inside one of the women's restrooms. So even if no one else was in there at the time Dave couldn't just come in to help. I propose a family lounge be put into all church buildings so fathers can help when needed. Luckily in our church building there is a pretty big kitchen with a table and chairs in the middle so it actually works out well.
The rest of the second hour was spent in the lobby with the other moms and babies. And for the third hour we braved it going our separate ways each taking one of the babies. Since it was Father's day Dave took Ian to priesthood and I had Suzie in relief society. Both did great! I think by that time they were beyond tired and just didn't have the energy to cause much mischief. Needless to say we didn't even get out of the parking lot after church before both Ian and Suzette were out cold. Dave and I talked about how nice it felt to be there for the third hour meetings again. It just allows more opportunity to not only socialize, but completely recharge our spiritual batteries as well. It felt great and we knew we'd finally made the big step and crossed over to attending all 3 hours as a family. So that was Dave's 1st gift and here are the others...
When getting home from church he received a photo card from Ian and Suzette with the 'We Love Daddy' keychain inside,
| woo hoo, check out that 20 week preggo belly! |
a homemade grilled margarita pizza(using the best recipe ever!) with super yummy corn and tomato salad for dinner that were DELISH,
| mmmm, mmmm, good! |
and a little memento to keep with him while at work - a water bottle with photos of Ian and Suzette.
I think the scrumptious vegetarian dinner will become our Father's Day tradition. As for the gifts this year I really wanted simple things that would be meaningful, useful and that he could keep with him. It has been my pleasure and joy to watch Dave enter into fatherhood with such ease and grace. His patience with and love for his children are amazing. It brings such peace to my heart knowing these children will grow up having such a wonderful man in their lives who holds their well being in highest regard and cherishes them beyond measure.

No comments:
Post a Comment