I have to be honest, the transition from 2 kids to 3 has been hard. And it just may be that has something to do with the fact they are all under 14 months old -- three kids in diapers, three kids with feeding and nap schedules, three kids at home all day long, three kids in cribs...you get the idea. It's been a big adjustment to figure out this past week and a half what the "new normal" for the Traxler Tribe is now that I'm on my own.
I have to say for never being a family of 3 and having 2 kids to start with Dave and I got pretty good at tag teaming. Schedule and routine are also things we quickly learned to embrace and make our friends all in the name of saving our sanity. Even when it was just the twins and me and I was technically outnumbered I never felt too much out of control. Difficult things would come up, but somehow it always worked out to just find a way to deal with them. So now that our one on one ratio is no longer there are situations that arise that make certain things a bit more difficult. Cast in point - last night...
After Ian and Suzie finished dinner it was bath time. Adella was upstairs sleeping so I decided to help Dave bathe the twins. Right in the middle of bath time Adella woke up and started crying, I check my wonderful iPhone app and saw it was time for her to nurse again. I left Dave to finish washing and rinsing the twins while I went to nurse Adella. A few minutes later I hear Dave shout from the bathroom, "Oh no! Ian pooped in the tub!" I told him I was still nursing and wasn't really able to get up and help him out. When giving the suggestion to scoop up the poop in a cup and dump it in the toilet Dave informed me it, "it's not that kind of poop," ewwwww. So he had to lift Suzie up and rinse her off then do the same for Ian. Next thing I know I see a wet naked Suzie walking into our room followed by a wet naked Ian. Dave was trying to salvage the bath toys that weren't dirty yet and quickly rinse out the tub. Meanwhile I'm still nursing Adella and Ian and Suzie are walking around our room checking things out. Ian comes over to stand by my side of the bed and Suzie finds a spot she likes in front of our dresser. It wasn't until Dave came in (couldn't have been more than 2 minutes later) that he, exclaimed, "Oh no, they both just peed!" At this point all we could do was laugh. Now this is the really funny part - Suzie squatted down when she peed and left a manageable spot to clean...
Ian on the other hand remained standing by my side of the bed the whole time and just let loose, resulting in the bed skirt, sheet and carpet all needing to be cleaned. Ahhh, boys!
Too funny! Oh, Summer, you and Dave are troopers!
ReplyDeleteAt least you can laugh about the battles you lose! :)
ReplyDeleteLove it. Glad you were able to laugh. Being out numbered with three under the age of 14 months would be quite an adventure every single day. As I nursed Clara tonight that country song came into my mind, " you're gonna miss this". Luckily I could hold her longer than normal since Dan was reading to the other 3. I'm going to miss these days!
ReplyDelete