6.05.2013

Our New House

Here are a few photos we snapped on February 27, 2013 - the day we closed on the house.

Yipee!
The home was already built as a model so we didn't choose any of the finishes.  There are some things that I love and some that aren't my taste, but I'll be just fine living with for a while.  When you walk in the front door the 2 story foyer gives the space a nice open feeling.
Open Foyer
There is a mud room between the double garage and the main floor.  With kids this is a serious plus feature!
Just may be my favorite room in the house - the MUD ROOM!
Family Room
The family room opens up to the kitchen with a small breakfast table area.  I wish there was a bump out for the kitchen table, but it's totally enough space for now.  One of the first things we did after moving in was to put lights up where all the pre-wires were and change out that double sink for a huge single basin one.  I couldn't stand the high chair trays not fitting the sink when I washed them so Dave was able to fix that for me ASAP.  This is the first time since we lived in Utah in 2006 that I'm not cooking with gas.  I miss it.  I'm not a fan of the glass cooktop (sooooo hard to keep clean!) and it's harder to gage/control the temperature of things while I'm cooking.  Only way we'll get a gas stove here is if we buy a stand alone propane tank (which is how our fireplace is set up) and I don't see that happening anytime soon...maybe not ever.  
Kitchen with Breakfast Table area
Dining Room
The dining room and study have the 3 piece molding in them which is a nice touch.  Dave and I would like to add french doors one day to make the study one room that doesn't need to be child proofed.
Office/Study
View out foyer window from upstairs hallway
Master Bedroom 
One of my honey-do projects for Dave is to switch those bathroom doors to swing out into the bedroom so they don't block the sink or shower.  I think that was a poor design on the builders part.  

Unpacking was a slow process and decorating will be even slower.  Things like that are a bit tricky to do with 2 toddlers and a baby.  It's funny though, I'm totally fine with that and am excited to take time to really decide how I want to decorate each room.  It also allows me time to find, buy or upcycle the right furniture for the right spaces.  With our townhouse Dave & I had it 80% painted within 3 months of moving in.  This time around I'm content with the white walls until we've been here for a year since the builder will come back and do drywall touch ups and I do not want to repaint.  I'm lazy like that these days.
Sunrise view from the master bedroom
Morning view from our front porch 
First snowfall in our new home
We are the first of seven houses on the gravel road behind the equestrian farm.  The other six are further down the street and all share a cul-de-sac.  One of the things we liked most about the house was the location of being on its own.  It is still amazing to me that we have views of trees out of every window with no houses in sight.  We've met the farm owner, whose name is Sue (love her British accent!) and her farm hand who is a really nice older gentleman named Dale.  He amazes me.  Just from what I see him do out our windows he is one hard working man and keeps the farm in great shape.  On Easter a new foal was brought to the farm and when my friend, Gina, came to visit we went over to say hello.

 Gina, who is a horse lover, helped us city folk become more comfortable with petting them.
 She even got up close and personal with one of the ponies!
There is a veterinarian who lives in an older home a little ways away from us and has a pen that he puts stray or unloved animals in to enjoy the rest of their days.  Currently it is occupied by a sheep that we walk over and visit each week.  At first Suzie was really afraid when the sheep would say, "baaaaa," but now she can't stop saying, "baaaaaa," back!  I adore the prospect of our children growing up with an appreciation for nature and animals.

   

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back to blogging! :) Your house is GORGEOUS Summer!!!! Simply breathtaking! Do you wake up every morning and pinch yourself to make sure that it's all real!? :) So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete